LAN Airlines, as part of the LANTAM group, have announced that they will fly the Boeing 787 Dreamliner to Australia from April 18 2015. LAN have ordered 32 of the aircraft over the next 10 years spending almost USD5 billion in the process.
The LAN 787 will feature a 2 class layout with 30 business class seats and 187 economy seats. This results in a reduction of seats to Australia of 301 per week and may see an upward affect on pricing given the route already had demand outstripping supply.
The Dreamliner aircraft boasts the following features...
• Electronic auto-dimming windows and dynamic lighting to create a better atmosphere. Thus, preparing the passenger for the different stages during the flight (day, night, etc.), and for the time zone to which it is arriving.
• Larger windows: the windows of this aircraft have up to 40% more surface area than current windows, which will allow all passengers (in all rows) more visibility during the flight, giving them a better view.
• Overhead bins with 30% more storage space for carryon luggage.
• The aerodynamics of the Boeing 787 incorporate technology that reduces the impact felt by the passenger due to turbulence. In addition, the pressurization of the cabin to a lower altitude (6,000 feet instead of 8,000) would result in the reduction of headaches or other symptoms a passenger might experience when flying.
• The cabin includes new air humidification techniques, significantly reducing fatigue and dryness associated with long trips.
• The passenger may have a more enjoyable trip thanks to the technology in their engines that make them less noisy from both inside and outside the aircraft.
Some of the environmental benefits of the 787 are as follows...
• An emission of up to 20% less of CO2 than similar aircraft.
• Up to 40% less noise footprint than similar aircraft on takeoff, the period of greatest noise in flight.
• 50% of the structure is a carbon fiber composite material, which makes it a first in the industry, this material being more resistant to fatigue and corrosion. This allows, moreover, that the manufacturing process will produce less non-recyclable waste.
Check out the current crop of LAN TAM South America Airfares with excellent sales on now for 2015 travel.